Pages

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Party In My Tummy

So it's been cold here in Texas. By cold I mean low 60's but in the evening it's been down into the 50's. You're probably saying "Holli, you should know cold you lived in Indiana." Yeah like 6 years ago. So what do you do when it's cold outside? You make soup. My husband found a recipe for corn chowder that sounded good. So I decided to make it. I made a few changes. Let me just say it is #2 on my favorite soups that I make. I thought I couldn't keep this to myself, so I decided to share with all of you! Here is my take on the recipe.


Ingredients

6 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed, divided (I used sweet corn)

4 cups low-salt chicken broth, divided

2 tablespoons olive oil

12 ounces smoked Spanish chorizo*, cut into 1/4-inch cubes 

2 cups chopped onion

2 pounds unpeeled red-skinned potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch cubes

2 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme

1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

2 cups fat free half and half


*Chorizo is kid of greasy, so I'm sure you could use another type of sausage.



Preparation

Blend 3 cups corn kernels and 1 1/2 cups broth in blender. I just left it in the blender until I needed it.  





Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add chorizo and sauté about 3 minutes. Transfer chorizo to small bowl. 





Add onion and remaining 3 cups corn kernels to same skillet (Do not drain out the the chorizo juices, it adds flavor)  Sauté over medium-high heat for 5 to 6 minutes. Add potatoes and stir about 2 minutes





Put corn mixture into a large pot. Add dried thyme, cayenne, pureed corn mixture, and remaining 2 1/2 cups broth to pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered 10 to 12 minutes. Add half and half and chorizo. Simmer uncovered about 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper for some extra flavor. 




I served this with some fresh tortillas I bought at the store. Our grocery has a station where little ladies press tortillas all day. They are AMAZING!


This recipe makes a ton of soup. It will probably feed the two of us for the rest of the week. So try it out and let me know what you guys think. 





No comments:

Post a Comment