Pages

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

I Married a Gamer

My my name is Holli and my husband is a gamer. This is not a new thing. He has always been a gamer. It's one of the things we connected on while dating. Growing up I too was a gamer. My dad was big into video games so we owned every system ever made. My favorite game happened to be Super Mario Bros. Not to brag or anything but I beat the game multiple times. Oh and I found the secret worlds. Booya! So back to my husband. When we moved in together it became apparent how much of a gamer he was. When we first lived together we worked opposite shifts. He worked all day and I worked most of the evening and night. We crossed paths around dinner. I believe during that time Battlefield was his game of choice (I could be very wrong). Well anyways, when I would get home from work around 11 and you could hear the sounds from outside. It sounded like World War III was taking place in our apartment. From that moment on I knew he had a secret lover, her name was XBOX (I'll called her Xena) My friends always ask "how can I deal with him playing?" I always say "at least I know what my husband is doing when I'm not home." That is when he gets most of his game time in. He does play when I am at home but not very often. I'm not that nice of a wife. I enjoy spending time with him away from zombie killing and Call of Duty. Not saying that my husband is anti-social. He does get out. 

So lately he has started playing Dungeons and Dragons. Yes he is a big geek, but that's why I love him. This is nothing new as well. In the past he has played Magic the Gathering and World of Warcraft. Yeah BIG geek! Well with the new D&D lifestyle he plays 3 games a week, one at a comic shop and two at home. The one on Wednesday he is dungeon master. If you are wondering "What's that?" well he calls the shots. No they don't sit around dressed up as wizards. At least he doesn't. I can't speak for the guys he plays with. He plays over in the reading area of our living room but I can hear everything he says. Let me just tell you I have learned a new language. I am now semi fluent in D&D. Sorcery, spells, elves and damage points. Now what! He has tried to get me to play but I don't think that will ever happen. I don't think I could take it seriously and in the long run would probably annoy him more than anything. Maybe one day I will give it a try but not anytime soon. I have too much on my plate with work and keeping up on my shows. Yes I am 90 and still call them shows. Don't hate! 

How many of you are in a relationship with a gamer? I know I'm not the only one. Don't be ashamed.  Unless they spend more time playing games than spending time with you. Homey don't play that! 

2 comments:

  1. Josh has recently become OBSESSED with Magic. I can't use my coffee table or kitchen table because they are covered in cards. He tried to teach me to play once, but wasn't a very good teacher and I got mad a quit. We have no D&D yet, but I have a feeling we will in the future. At some point. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would drive me crazy! Rob bought a desk to put all of his stuff on. Rob played Magic when we first started dating but hasn't played since. D&D isn't too bad because he plays on the computer. It's just a little goofy. I'm sure if Josh started started playing he could join Rob's games or whatever they are called.

      Delete