Pages

Monday, November 12, 2012

Growing Up With Asthma

I have had asthma ever since I was a toddler. Most of my childhood revolved around this. I like almost every kid had asthma but mine was not mild by any means. I was pretty much destined to get asthma. On my dads side almost everyone had it. My aunt still has it. My mom grew up with asthma but grew out of it. On top of genetics did I mention my dad smoked like a chimney? I think that may have something to do with why I still have it.  I spent most of my childhood in the hospital. Talk about fun. From toddler age to about 3rd grade I would spend 2-3 weeks in the hospital from asthma attacks, bronchitis, and pneumonia  I became a regular at Parkview. No really. I had the same nurses each time. To this day when my mom sees them out and about they ask how I am doing. I am almost 27, so yeah I made an impact. I also spent a few holidays in ICU along with my birthday one year. Have you ever trick or treated in a hospital. I have. They came around room to room and handed out candy.

Most kids got away with taking an inhaler every once in a while. I had so many medications that my mom said I looked like a drug dealer. I had a bag full of inhalers and pills. I lived with my dad growing up(my parents were divorced) and he was super protective. If it was under a certain degree outside I couldn't play outside in fear that I would get sick. He also made me wear a coat until almost summer time. Could you imagine little me running around with a coat on in 60 degree weather? Well I did. The other thing that sucks is that I can't be tickled. If you tickle me too long I could have an asthma attack. My poor husband tries to tickle me until I yell "Stop! I can't breathe! Where's my inhaler?" Doesn't that sound like fun?

Unlike most kids I did not grow out of my asthma and still deal with it everyday. Let me just say being an adult with asthma sucks. I hated it as a kid but hate it more as an adult. I still have to take an inhaler everyday to keep my symptoms regulated. The thing that really sucks is when I get a cold it's never just a cold. It always turns into an upper respiratory infection, bronchitis or worse pneumonia. Just this week I felt a cold coming on so I went to the doctor. He said it was just post nasal drip and sent me on my way. Forward about 3 days later and I feel like I'm going to die. I go back to the doctor and go figure I have bronchitis. This happens every time I get sick, so I try my hardest to not get sick.  Let me just say I am so grateful I have insurance, because all these meds and doctor visits aren't cheap. I haven't always had insurance so I know it's expensive. My one inhaler without insurance cost $300 and I need to buy that one every month. I have learned little home remedies that seem to help a little. As you all know I'm a little bit of a hippie. I learned that anything caffeinated is good for asthma, especially hot black coffee or my favorite espresso. That's why I always drink coffee. 



A t-shirt I found that I want.


So for all you asthmatics out there I feel your pain! I aint easy being wheezy! Hang in there and drink lots of coffee. Dr. Holli's orders! 

2 comments:

  1. This makes me very curious/concerned. How do you handle running?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take my inhaler right before I start running. Then I just have to pace myself.

      Delete